Monday, November 26, 2012

Thanks.

Well, since it is still November and we celebrated Thanksgiving last week, I thought it might be appropriate to share what I’m thankful for! I’m not consistent enough to post something in my Facebook status every day like some people, so here are a few things I’m giving thanks for these days (and always). This list is in no particular order, just a few quick things I thought of while sitting in my little cubicle.

1. Family. I cannot imagine my life without the most supportive, loving, and fun family in the entire world. My family is the most incredible support system I could ever ask for and I can honestly say they are my best friends. My parents have shown me what a Godly marriage looks like and they have set an amazing example for my sister and I to follow. I look up to my little sister (in more ways than one) and am so thankful for her honesty and her gift of discernment.

2. I am thankful for Ole Miss. Regardless of the bad press we might receive every now and then, I cannot imagine a better place to have spent my undergraduate (and now my graduate) school years. Oxford in the fall is one of the most beautiful places in the world. Trees are changing colors and the weather is incredible—throw in a little SEC football, great tailgating, and some good old fashioned Southern hospitality, and you have an atmosphere that can’t be beat. And now that Thanksgiving is over, I am thankful for an Egg Bowl win against our in state rivals--it was a long time coming and our team worked so hard for it!

3. The South. Y’all, I cannot imagine growing up anywhere else. I grew up in a town where everybody knows everybody and let me tell you, it. was. awesome. Don’t picture Mayberry, because I graduated from a 6A high school (currently South State Champs-woo!)  and we have all of the modern conveniences we could ever need, including a Chick-Fil-A. My hometown is growing so quickly, but I am so blessed to have grown up in a city and school system with incredible Christian role models, teachers, and administrators. Our town is proud of our hometown heroes, including service men and women, an American Idol, and incredible athletes. I’m praying I’ll end up in a town like Brandon to raise my kiddos one day!

4. See my last post, becuase I am super thankful for Kanakuk Kamps, their ministry, and the message they are preaching. I'm also so very thankful for Kanakuk friends.

5. America. Fredoom. Troops. Need I say more? We are so blessed to live in this country and the Lord has His hand on the United States and its future. Thank you to the men and women fighting for our freedom every day!

6. I have no idea how people survived without Diet Coke, and now my latest addiction--coffee. I guess I'm thankful for caffiene really. And you know how they say "absence makes the heart grow fonder," well after a week at kamp with no diet coke, this girl is bustin through the gates and down to the Sonic in Hollister to get a Route44 with that yummy crunchy ice. So thanks, Coca-cola company--this girl is hooked.

7. Sunsets. I know that sounds super cheesy, but my absolute most favorite time of day is when the sun is setting and everything looks pink. It almost feels like God is creating this beautiful masterpiece just for us. When the sun is setting we can take just a second to slow down and enjoy His creation. It is a daily reminder of HIs presence and his perfect plan. If you've never taken notice of this before, I would sugget finding a porch swing (or glider) and taking ten minutes to soak it all in. I promise you'll be glad you did.

8. I'm thankful for the Olympics. This goes along with being thankful for America, but it deserves separate recognition. Also, the Olympics are an excuse to wear red, white, and blue every day.

9. Snail Mail. How old school is that? NOTHING is better than a hand written note. Want to make my day (or anyone elses)? Drop them a card in the mail and I promise when they open their mailbox and find it they'll be smiling.

10. Lastly, and probably most importatnt (even though I said these were in no particular order) I am thankful for forgiveness. I have James 1:22 on my desk at work "Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says." and try as I might, I cannot "do what it says" every minute of every day. I am flawed and sinful and so thankful for forgiveness. So every time I mess up, I am reminded of God's ultimate sacrifice and His beautiful illustration of forgiveness, redemption, and salvation. "He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." Colossians 1:13-14  

Peace and Blessings.  So many blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment