Monday, September 20, 2010

My Own Personal DJ

Sunday morning when my sister left town I thought I would skip church and stay home to study before Water Parties, but something inside of me cannot skip church on Sunday mornings. I just can’t do it. If I’m physically capable of going, I’m there. So instead of studying, I went to meet with Jesus at FBC Oxford.

The message was about the power of prayer, and the impact prayer would have on our community and school. The message came from 1 Timothy 2:1-8. Paul is writing to Timothy in Ephesus and giving him instructions on how to worship. His very first sentence says to pray. The very first line of the chapter-pray. Not sing, or dance, or give our money or time to the church, but to simply pray. The main point of the message was to make prayer our initial imperative. Regardless of the situation we are to first go to God, then others.

How often in my daily life do I call on my mom, my roommate, my best friend, or my sister before I call on the Lord of the Universe? Before taking our issues to other sinful human beings, we should go before our holy and perfect Father. We should take our needs before Him boldly, with confidence that all things will work for the good of His will.

Anyone who knows me knows that I have an obsession with musicals. Give me a predictable plotline, a sappy love story, and a few good show choir songs and I’m hooked. From Glee to Oliver to Wicked, I love them all. I dream of choreographed musical routines in the cafeteria and of dancing around town singing with the birds and the chimney sweeps. While my life lately hasn’t exactly been an episode of Glee lately, I have noticed that there are so many songs that actually apply to my daily life. Sometimes it’s as if God is my own personal DJ and he’s creating the soundtrack for my life.

After a message about prayer on Sunday I got in my car and Casting Crowns’ “What if His People Prayed” was playing on KLOVE. How incredibly convenient. Not only did God speak to me during the eleven o’clock service, He was driving it home, making sure I heard Him loud and clear. I really am beginning to wonder, what would happen if His people prayed? What change would we see in our community if we were all so diligent and dependent upon prayer that it consumed our thoughts on an hourly basis?

What an incredible challenge.

Now I will prayerfully consider studying for my test tomorrow J

Peace&Blessings


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to put my comment on your post "I Won't Have to Cross Campus Alone." Apologies.

    ReplyDelete